Antarctic Region Map PDF - Overview
Antarctic Region Map – The Antarctic is a polar region around Earth’s South Pole, opposite the Arctic region around the North Pole. The Antarctic comprises the continent of Antarctica, the Kerguelen Plateau and other island territories located on the Antarctic Plate or south of the Antarctic Convergence.
The Antarctic region map includes the ice shelves, waters, and all the island territories in the Southern Ocean situated south of the Antarctic Convergence, a zone approximately 32 to 48 km (20 to 30 mi) wide varying in latitude seasonally.
Antarctic region covers some 20 percent of the Southern Hemisphere, of which 5.5 percent (14 million km2) is the surface area of the Antarctica continent itself. All of the land and ice shelves south of 60°S latitude are administered under the Antarctic Treaty System. Bibliographically, the Antarctic realm is one of eight bio-geographic realms of Earth’s land surface.
Antarctic Region Map
A variety of animals live in Antarctica for at least some of the year, including:
- South Georgia pipits
- Antarctic petrels
- Fish, such as Antarctic icefish, Antarctic toothfish
- Squid, including the colossal squid
- Antarctic krill
List of offshore islands – North of 60°S latitude
- Bouvet Island Norway
- Heard Island and McDonald Islands (Australia)
- Heard Island
- McDonald Islands
- Kerguelen Islands (France)
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (United Kingdom)
- South Georgia Islands
- Shag Rocks
- South Georgia
- South Sandwich Islands
List of offshore islands – South of 60°S latitude
- Balleny Islands (Antarctic Treaty System)
- Peter I Island (Antarctic Treaty System)
- Scott Island (Antarctic Treaty System)
- South Orkney Islands (Antarctic Treaty System)
- South Shetland Islands Antarctic Treaty System)
For more information please visit: https://www.cia.govDownload Antarctic Region Map PDF from www.cia.gov using the direct download link given below.