Common Skin Diseases List with Pictures
Skin disease are any of the diseases or disorders that affect the human skin. They have a wide range of causes. Visible alterations in the texture of the skin, such as rashes and hives, can be indicative of serious disease.
Skin disorders vary greatly in symptoms and severity. They can be temporary or permanent, and may be painless or painful. Some have situational causes, while others may be genetic. Some skin conditions are minor, and others can be life-threatening.
Common Skin Disease List
- Acne: It is caused when blocked skin follicles from a plug caused by oil from glands, bacteria, and dead cells clump together and swell.
- Alopecia Areata: It is a condition that attacks your hair follicles (they make hair). In most cases, hair falls out in small, round patches.
- Atopic Dermatitis: It is a skin disease causing much itchiness. Scratching leads to redness, swelling, cracking, weeping clear fluid, crusting, and scaling.
- Epidermolysis Bullosa: It is a group of diseases causing painful blisters to form on the skin. These blisters can cause problems if they become infected.
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS): Hidradenitis suppurativa (also known as acne inversa) is a chronic, noncontagious, inflammatory condition characterized by pimple-like bumps or boils and tunnels or tracts on and under the skin.
- Ichthyosis: It is a disorder that causes dry, thickened skin that may look similar to fish scales.
- Lichen Sclerosus: It causes white spots or patches on skin of the genital and anal areas, but can appear elsewhere. Itchiness, pain, and bleeding are common.
- Pachyonychia Congenita: It is a rare disorder causing thick nails and painful calluses on the bottoms of the feet and other symptoms.
- Pemphigus: It is a disease where the immune system attacks healthy cells in the top layer of skin, resulting in blisters.
- Psoriasis: Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes red, scaly skin that may feel painful, swollen, or hot. Learn more about the types and what causes psoriasis.
- Raynaud’s Phenomenon: It is a disease that affects blood vessels. It causes your body to not send enough blood to the hands and feet for a period of time.
- Rosacea: It is a long-term disease that causes reddened skin and pimples, usually on the face. It can also make the skin thicker and cause eye problems.
- Scleroderma: Scleroderma causes patches of tight, hard skin, but can also harm your blood vessels and organs.
- Vitiligo: Vitiligo is a disorder that causes patches of skin to become white. It happens because cells that make color in your skin are destroyed.