Geriatric Depression Scale-Short Form PDF – Overview
Geriatric Depression Scale-Short Form contains 15 Questions.
The Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS) is a screening test originally developed by J.A. Yesavage and colleagues in 1982 that is used to identify symptoms of depression in older adults. The scale is a self-report instrument that uses a “Yes/No” format.
It can be used with healthy adults, medically ill adults, and those with mild to moderate cognitive impairments. There is also a five-item GDS that research has shown to be comparable to the 15-question form in terms of effectively identifying depression. The GDS is frequently used in acute, long-term, and community settings, often part of a comprehensive geriatric assessment.
Geriatric Depression Scale-Short Form
Questions on Geriatric Depression Scale-Short Form
Choose the best answer for how you have felt over the past week:
- Are you basically satisfied with your life? YES / NO
- Have you dropped many of your activities and interests? YES / NO
- Do you feel that your life is empty? YES / NO
- Do you often get bored? YES / NO
- Are you in good spirits most of the time? YES / NO
- Are you afraid that something bad is going to happen to you? YES / NO
- Do you feel happy most of the time? YES / NO
- Do you often feel helpless? YES / NO
- Do you prefer to stay at home, rather than going out and doing new things? YES / NO
- Do you feel you have more problems with memory than most? YES / NO
- Do you think it is wonderful to be alive now? YES / NO
- Do you feel pretty worthless the way you are now? YES / NO
- Do you feel full of energy? YES / NO
- Do you feel that your situation is hopeless? YES / NO
- Do you think that most people are better off than you are? YES / NO
How the Geriatric Depression Scale Is Scored
For the short form above, a score of above five points suggests depression. An answer of “Yes” on questions 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, and 15 or a “No” response to questions 1, 5, 7, 11, and 13 are indicative of depressive symptoms in an older adult.
Download Geriatric Depression Scale-Short Form PDF from dementiapathways.ie using the direct download link given below.