Kirtan Sohila PDF – Overview
Kirtan Sohila is a night prayer in Sikhism. Its name means ‘Song of Praise’. It is composed of five hymns or shabad, the first three by Guru Nanak Dev, the fourth by Guru Ram Das and the fifth by Guru Arjan Dev.
This hymn is usually recited at the conclusion of evening ceremonies at the Gurdwara and also recited as part of Sikh funeral services. This hymn is also recited before sleeping during bed time.
This is the night time prayer said by all Sikhs before they go to sleep. Three Sikh Gurus – Guru Nanak, Guru Ram Das and Guru Arjan – contributed five shabads in total to this bani on the pain of separation and celebrating the bliss of union with Almighty.
The first three shabads were uttered by Guru Nanak, the fourth by Guru Ram Das, and the fifth by Guru Arjan Dev. It is the most harmonious Naad ever uttered. It multiplies the aura to the sensitivity of protection that it eliminates any negativity for miles and miles.
When you are endangered by any species of direct or indirect source; when you want to protect yourself with the surrounding of the entire magnetic field of the earth, recite Kirtan Sohila. It is a cure for insomnia!
The religious and artistic value of these hymns is superb.
- The first shabad visualises the union of the personal self with the Ultimate Reality.
- The second shabad presents the singularity of the Ultimate despite endless diversity of scriptures, teachers and philosophies.
- The third shabad rejects all modes of external piety and ritual, and vividly portrays the entire cosmos making harmonious worship. Instead of trays with lamps placed upon them with incense and other offerings, the skies become an integrated platter, the sun and moon the lamps, stars the beads, and all vegetation an offering of flowers. Loud chanting is replaced by the inner unstruck melody playing motionlessly.
- The fourth shabad explains the importance of the divine Name through which all suffering and transmigration is annulled.
- The fifth shabad celebrates life here in this world: we must avail ourselves of this wonderful opportunity to serve others and to win divine merit. The unknown Mystery becomes known to the enlightened person who thereafter enjoys the bliss and freedom of immortality.
Download Kirtan Sohila PDF in Punjabi from www.sikhnet.com using the direct download link given below.