Never Let Me Go PDF - Overview
Never Let Me Go is a 2005 dystopian science fiction novel by British author Kazuo Ishiguro. It was shortlisted for the 2005 Booker Prize, for the 2006 Arthur C. Clarke Award and for the 2005 National Book Critics Circle Award. Time magazine named it the best novel of 2005 and included the novel in its 100 Best English-language novels published since 1923—the beginning of Time.
Never Let Me Go stems from a song that Kathy listened to throughout her life. Kathy found the song on a Judy Bridgewater tape she purchased at one of the Sales of Hailsham. When Kathy would feel alone, she would play the song on repeat. Kathy often used to sing to and dance to the chorus.
On one occasion, while dancing and singing, she notices Madame watching her and crying. Madame explains the encounter when they meet at the end of the book. While Kathy reveals to the reader that she was simply thinking about holding a child, Madame connects the dancing and the song to what they are doing to the children. She is overwhelmed by guilt and sadness and thus starts to cry when she sees Kathy.
Never Let Me Go
Characters in Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go – Main Characters
- Kathy – Kathy is the protagonist and narrator of the novel. She is a thirty-one-year-old clone who was raised to be an organ donor. During her childhood, Kathy is free-spirited, kind, loving, and stands up for what is right.
- Tommy – A male donor, and a childhood friend of Kathy’s. He is introduced as an uncreative and isolated young boy at Hailsham. He has a bad temper and is the object of many tricks played on him by the other children because of his short temper.
- Ruth – A childhood friend of Kathy’s, Ruth is a female donor from Hailsham, described by Kathy as bossy. At the start of the novel, she is an extrovert with strong opinions and appears to be the center of social activity in her cohort; however, she is not as confident as the narrator initially perceived.
Never Let Me Go – Minor Characters
- Madame (Marie-Claude) – A woman who visits Hailsham to pick up the children’s artwork. Described as a mystery by the students at Hailsham. She appears professional and stern, and a young Kathy describes her as distant and forbidding.
- Miss Emily – Headmistress of Hailsham. Can be very sharp, according to Kathy. The children thought she had an extra sense that allowed her to know where a child was if they were hiding.
- Miss Lucy – A teacher at Hailsham that the children feel comfortable with. She is one of the younger teachers at Hailsham, and tells the students very frankly that they exist only for organ donation.
- Miss Geraldine – A guardian at Hailsham. Miss Geraldine works with younger students with teaching art.
- Chrissie – Another female donor, who is slightly older than the three main characters and was with them at the Cottages. She and her boyfriend, Rodney, were the ones who found Ruth’s possible, and took Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth to Norfolk.
- Rodney – Chrissie’s boyfriend, he was the one who originally saw Ruth’s possible. He and Chrissie are mentioned to have broken up before she completed.