Surah-Ad-Dukhan PDF - Overview
Surah-Ad-Dukhan meaning is Smoke, It is the 44th chapter (surah) of the Quran with 59 verses (ayat). The word dukhan, meaning ‘smoke’, is mentioned in verse 10. The first verse is one of Quran’s Muqatta’at, the letter combinations that appear in the beginning of some chapters. Verse 37 mentions the people of Tubba, interpreters explain that this refers to the people of Sheba.
Regarding the timing and contextual background of the believed revelation (asbāb al-nuzūl), it is an earlier “Meccan surah”, which means it is believed to have been revealed in Mecca, rather than later in Medina.
Summary of Surah-Ad-Dukhan
- 1-6 The Quran sent down on the Blessed Night
- 7 God the only source of life
- 8-15 Unbelievers cautioned with the tormenting smoke of the judgment-day
- 16-32 Pharaoh and his people destroyed for discarding Moses
- 33-37 The people of Makkah cautioned with the fate of the people of Tubba’
- 38-39 God did not create the universe in jest
- 40-42 The judgment-day a day when everyone reap what you sowed
- 43-50 Damnation of the wicked in hell
- 51-57 Rewards of the righteous in Paradise
- 58 The Quran revealed in Arabic as an admonition.