Surah Waqiah PDF - Overview
Surah Waqiah – Al-Waqi’a (Arabic: الواقعة; “The Inevitable” or “The Event”) is the 56th Surah (chapter) of the Quran. Muslims believe it was revealed in Mecca (see Meccan surah), specifically around 7 years before the Hegira, the migration of Muhammad to Medina. The total number of verses in this surah is 96.
Surah Waqiah mainly discusses the afterlife according to Islam, and the different fates people will face in it.
The afterlife (Akhirah) is the main topic discussed in the chapter. Picking up from the preceding chapter, Ar-Rahman, which discusses the rewards of Paradise (Jannah), this chapter also mentions them and then contrasts them with the punishment of hell.
The Surah Waqiah also distinguishes the three classes of people in the afterlife, “the foremost”, “the companions of the right” and “the companions of the left”.
Surah Waqiah PDF
- 1-2 The coming of the judgment-day inevitable
- 3-7 Its terrors described
- 8-11 Its coming shall separate men into three classes
- 12-39 Joys of the Muslim heaven described
- 40-56 The punishment of the wicked in hell depicted
- 57-73 Arguments for the resurrection of the dead drawn from God’s work in creation and providence
- 74-81 Oath by the stars that the Qurán is divinely-inspired
- 82-96 Men should believe in God since they cannot save the dying from death