US Passport Application Form
This is a PDF form used to apply for a U.S. passport and for information or questions, visit the official Department of State website at travel.state.gov or contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793) or NPIC@state.gov.
US Passport Application Form – Documents Required
1. PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP: Submit an original or certified copy and a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) with your application. Your evidence will be returned to you if it is not damaged, altered, or forged. Submit one of the following:
U.S. birth certificate that meets all of the following requirements:
- Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
- Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
- Lists your parent(s)’ full names W
- Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth) – Has the registrar’s signature and the seal of the issuing authority
You must establish your citizenship to the satisfaction of the Department and may be asked to provide additional evidence. If you are claiming citizenship through the naturalization of your parents or if your U.S. birth certificate was filed more than one year after your birth, see instruction page 2. More information can be found on travel.state.gov/citizenship.
2. PROOF OF IDENTITY: Present your original identification and submit a photocopy of the front and back with your application. It must show a photograph that is a good likeness of you.
3. Submit one color photograph, 2×2 inches in size: Photographs must meet the following requirements (see the full list on travel.state.gov/photos)
- Head must be 1-1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Taken less than six months ago
No glasses or hat/head covering”
4. FEES: Please visit official website at travel.state.gov/passport fees for current fees. For information on optional services, see instruction page 2.
How to Submit US Passport Application Form
Complete and submit this application in person to a designated passport acceptance facility, a passport agency (by appointment only), or a US embassy, consulate, or consular agency (if abroad). To find your nearest acceptance facility, visit travel state.gov or call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793).
Applicants Born in United States
An acceptable U.S. birth certificate must include your full name, date and place of birth, sex, date the birth record was fed, the seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records (state, county, or city/town office), and the full names of your parent(s).
If the birth certificate was filed more than one year after the birth: It must be supported by evidence described in the next paragraph
If no birth record exists Submit a registrar’s notice to that effect. Also, submit a combination of the evidence listed below, which should include your first and last name, date and/or place of birth, the seal or other certification of the office (if customary), and the signature of the issuing official
- A hospital birth record
- An early baptismal or circumcision certificate
- Early census, school, medical, or family Bible records
- Insurance files or published birth announcements (such as a newspaper article)
- Notarized affidavits (or DS-10, Birth Affidavit) of older blood relatives having knowledge of your birth may be submitted in addition to some of the records listed above.