I9 Form 2021 PDF - Overview
Form I-9 is used to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All U.S. employers must properly complete Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and non-citizens. Both employees and employers (or authorized representatives of the employer) must complete the form.
On the form I9, an employee must attest his or her employment authorization. The employee must also present his or her employer with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization.
The employer must examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s) an employee presents to determine whether the document(s) reasonably appear to be genuine and to relate to the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9.
Employers must retain Form I-9 for a designated period and make it available for inspection by authorized government officers.
Documents Required for i9 Form 2021
- U.S Passport or U.S Passport Card
- Foreign Passport that contain a temporary I- 551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
- Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
- For a Non-immigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her Staus (a) Foreign Passport (b) Form I-94 or Form I-94A
- And any other list of acceptable documents can be found on the last page of the form.